January 24, 2024
Plant-Based Gingerbread Men
PLANT-BASED GINGERBREAD MEN RECIPE!
By Emma Newlyn - Nutrition & Health Coach
These gingerbread men are easy to make, and suitable for anyone following a vegan, vegetarian and lower sugar diet, as well as being nut free and high in fibre.
The ginger and cinnamon in this recipe can help cut through sinus issues, head colds and congestion, and the scent of baking gingerbread biscuits can remind you of those great Christmas festivities!
Feel free to use regular or gluten-free flour, but spelt is a great option as it is easier to digest than most other types, allowing you to whip up healthier festive biscuits when the time comes to feed family and friends!
Makes roughly 6-8 depending upon cutter size
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5-6 tbsp coconut sugar or 3 tbsp stevia
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- splash of almond milk
- Dark chocolate buttons* (optional)
- If you want a more ‘classic’ gingerbread taste, add 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Sieve the spelt flour into a large mixing bowl
- Add the flax, baking powder, bicarb, ginger, cinnamon, sweetener of your choice and mix to combine
- Gently melt the coconut oil and add it to the dry mixture
- Use your hands to mix everything together, adding a splash of almond milk partway though (if the milk makes the mixture very watery, just add a little more flour)
- Mix until you’re able to form a ‘dough’ – the dough should not be wet
- Place in the fridge and leave to cool for half an hour (or overnight)
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper or foil and lightly grease with coconut oil
- Scatter some flour onto a work surface and roll the dough out to roughly 1/4 cm thick
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into shapes, add the chocolate button eyes and transfer onto the baking tray (using a fish slice to transfer the shapes means they’ll hold their shape better)
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for roughly 12 minutes or until fragrant, firmer and golden brown
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool
*Dairy free and no added sugar chocolate buttons are available from most Holland and Barrett high street stores, or online via amazon.